The first external review of the thematic assessment of the interlinkages among biodiversity, water, food and health (nexus assessment) is open from 9 January to 19 February 2023.
The first external review, which focuses on the first draft of the chapters of the assessment, is one of the most important phases in the IPBES assessment process and is addressed to interested and qualified experts (referred to as “the expert reviewers”). The widest possible participation and most diverse engagement of interested and qualified experts, including scientists, decision makers, practitioners and other knowledge holders from all relevant disciplines and backgrounds, is vital to ensure the scientific quality, credibility and policy relevance of the assessment. Interested and qualified experts are invited to comment on text according to their knowledge and experience. The names of all expert reviewers will be acknowledged in the reports.
If you would like to participate as an expert reviewer in this external review, please follow these steps:
- Register as a if you have not already done so;
- Register to
- Once registered, you will receive an email providing confidential access to the draft chapters and glossary of the assessment;
- Comments must be submitted in English using the Excel comment template available on the same webpage as the chapters;
- The secretariat has a new system for submitting comments electronically; when you are ready to submit your comments, please upload your completed Excel template no later than 19 February 2023 (you must be logged in to upload your template);
- If you encounter any technical issues uploading your comments template, please contact
Two online dialogues with stakeholders, including practitioners, in the context of the first external review of the assessment, are scheduled during the review period:
- 9 February 2023: 9-11 a.m. CET
- 9 February 2023: 6-8 p.m. CET
Dr. Eva Spehn
Forum Biodiversität Schweiz
Haus der Akademien